5%
Airline yes, Airport No.
11%

Total votes: 19

baz
Level 4 user

Airports and Airlines

Post by baz »

Creating a poll to gage wether firstly you are intrested in airport ownership, and how it could be implemented. ( Keep Cap2 in mind ) and wether an airline/s would be of intrest and how it could be implemented. Again keep Cap2 in mind. I'm not thinking physical airlines, ones that fly about as that would require to much resource. More the business side of airlines, and not the physical oyu could have this airoplane or that airoplane. I have my own thoughts on airports but please post your ideas or comments.

Airlines are a little trickier, the more you spend on airlines the better the airline is. Basically you use investment after initial purchase and have a rating on the airline/s. maybe 1 - 5 and can use maybe GDP as a bonus to that. Ie 0% GDP 1* airline, loss of profits. 0% GDP 5* airline maybe 5 profit. ranging to 10% GDP 1* 10% profit and 5* airline 10% GDP 50%. Although 50% would be way to much.

Anyways I want your ideas and comments for this. If we can come up with a suggestion that sounds feasable and works in the spirit of CAP2 then i'll pass it on.

Please use the poll and post your ideas and comments.
Bigs
Level 2 user

Re: Airports and Airlines

Post by Bigs »

I think airlines might be a too big a task to implement in the engine. What about making sports planes as a product? It shouldn't be that hard to make the product line similar to the one for cars, where you have to produce motors, car bodies etc, and the assemble them in a factory?

Saab made both planes and cars... ;)
baz
Level 4 user

Post by baz »

Do you mean learjets or sports planes ( redbull air Challenge )
Maybe helicopters? Only thing is, how well do those industries do outside of military applications?
Saab do make aircrafts, but I don't think they would be that succesfull without the military application. And saab cars, has since gone bankrupt or been taken over, thus no longer part of saab.
I don't want to turn this thread into the demise of Saab cars though. This thread does have a big relevance as I'm going to feed the best ideas back into my thread on the beta forum along with the authors name, so they can get the credit. Keep the ideas comming bigs, and that applys to anyone else.
Bigs
Level 2 user

Post by Bigs »

I was thinking more like cessnas and the likes. Small sports planes that people can buy. Ofcourse the same mechanic could be translated into making big people carriers like 747 or airbuses..
But owning an airline.. Well, then I'll just load up Airline Tycoon II ;)
baz
Level 4 user

Post by baz »

Cessnas could be a idea, Do you know what the industries worth by any chance?

Your right about airline tycoon ect, I was just looking at the business aspect of airlines and keeping it simple but allowing for expansion into that industry.

When you mention 747's ect you could say the same about Cap 2, why can't you create land rovers, people carriers, sport cars ect.
Cap 2 just repersents industries and is not a full simulator of them. Thus airlines that you click on at the airport, would just be about the invesment and return aspect rather than trying to replicate the airline industry. It's another way of investing money and managing risk and making money or not.
Keep the comments comming, hopefully we can come up with something constructive that I can pass back to David.
Purifier
Level 4 user

Post by Purifier »

Im not realy keen on this idea. Both the production/selling of big stuff aswell as owning and running an airline.
Its not in the heart or idea of what Cap 1, 2 and cap. labs. is about: production and retailing of customer goods. They added the option of owning an advertizing building since it is part of the process i mentioned.

Producing big stuff like airplanes, boats and what not is a totaly different part of the world economy, namely you (normaly...) dont sell that kinds of stuff to customers but to companies.
In my opinion it wouldnt be the same....

Beside that Englight would also have to add another kind of population, the companies that buy those big things :p
Same goes with owning and running things like airlines, train companies and what not. It just doesnt fit into the essence of the Cap. serie. There are alot of Tycoon games for that already :p
baz
Level 4 user

Post by baz »

Purifier, I apprecitate the comments.
Are you apposed to Airlines and Airports or just Airlines?
Producing aircraft ect I agree with you but there ideas only. This was only ment as a thread for airports and airlines really.
I'm not really that fussed about airlines, although they are part of the capitalism dream, along with Airports.
wiki quote on capitalism " Capitalism is an economic system that is based on private ownership of the means of production and the creation of goods or services for profit "
Currently i'm speaking to David about airports, so I need vaild input regarding that, airlines is a side dish.
All comments are welcome but most importantly Airports and how they could be implemented.
baz
Level 4 user

Post by baz »

Another thought on airports, they do bring mass employment which would require more housing, So it would fit in well with commercial and rental property tycoons. Maybe the bonus system could work alongside it.
Any thoughts on this?
jmhemsley

Post by jmhemsley »

I think airlines and airports (and airplanes) should be incorporated into Cap Lab.

Here's my idea of how it could work with the current engine (with a few tweaks):

Add Airplanes as a good (make it hard to build - I'm thinking more parts than a car perhaps? Or at least more semi-products involved).
The Airplane good (and you could have maybe 2 different kinds) wouldn't be a consumer good, but a semi-product
Add AvGas as a good (manufactured from Oil - yay! another use for oil!)
Add a building called "Airline Hub" or "Airline HQ" that purchases the airplane and the AvGas as a consumable product.
--Here you could also try and incorporate a service aspect - but I don't think it's necessary as a first go.
Once you have the Airline HQ set up with Airplanes and Gas, you would need to go to the Airport to buy slots (this would be an interface change in the airport).
Slots could be auctioned off or their price could be set by how popular the airport is.
--The more slots you buy, the faster the gas and airplane "good" is consumed from your Airline HQ - requiring you to buy more airplanes and gas.
--Consumption of the airline (Demand) increases by the number of slots you have in different city's airports. You're incentivized to get more slots (effectively these are routes - no need to see colorful lines, though).
--Advertising and the quality of the airplanes you're buying could be key differentiators to your success vs the competition.
--Making sure you have a steady supply of Airplanes and Gas would be critical to meeting the demand and would effect the price you could set.