Scripting bugs

Discussions about scenario games and user-defined scripts.
Etym
Level 3 user

Scripting bugs

Post by Etym »

Preliminary note - I don't know how to upload scripts, saved games, or save/edit and upload screen shots to the forum. If someone would direct me to threads explaining how to do this I will appreciate it and include such items in future posts.

1. The 'Macro Economy Realism' definition doesn't seem to work.
If I write 'Macro Economy Realism=High' in the script (as shown in the models), during loading the game always reports:
'Error: the following lines cannot be recognized by the script system.
line 35: Macro Economy Realism=High'
I have placed this line in the [ENVIRONMENT] section of the script, which I believe is its proper place.
After clicking 'OK' on the error message, the game starts, but checking the game settings then shows economic realism set to 'low' and my company starts with no HQ.

2. The definition of game years doesn't seem to work, either. If I write 'Number of Game Years=50' in the script, the game settings (and goal screen from the information center) will default to 30 years (without an error message). I have moved the game years definition from [MAIN GOAL] to [MAIN GOAL VALUES] and back again, but it seems to make no difference.

3. Player product expertise should be more flexible. If I don't define a specific product expertise, my player has none - I was hoping it would be randomly assigned by the game engine like all the AI characters, who do have product expertise except for the first AI (listed immediately below the human player in the 'Persons' screen).
If that isn't possible, would it be possible to script a range of product expertise categories and a range of expertise values (1 to <= 100)? For example, the script could specify alternative choices like 'Apparel' 'Beverage' and 'Food' (or any others) and have the game engine pick one of the alternatives and assign an expertise value at random, possibly by using a random number generator function, and/or having the script assign probabilities to each possible choice.
As it is, the player either picks a product and expertise level (thus knowing in advance where initial product development will go), or has no product expertise at all (thus knowing in advance that there will be no product expertise bonus). This adversely affects game play generally, IMO, and especially for a script designed (as is mine) to provide significantly different development choices for the player each time it is played.

Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks.
Last edited by Etym on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Etym
Level 3 user

Re: Scripting bugs UPDATE

Post by Etym »

#1 is solved - the game engine recognizes "Marco Economy Realism" instead of "Macro."
I noticed that Esoteric Rogue's "10 Cities" script used the "Marco" spelling, so I tried it out and it worked.
Thanks, ER !! :D

Game end is still defaulting to 30 years. Any suggestions?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Scripting bugs

Post by David »

We will fix these bugs in the next patch.
Etym
Level 3 user

Post by Etym »

Thanks David.
David

Post by David »

You may now download the new patch at http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =10&t=1599
Etym
Level 3 user

Re: NEW Scripting bug

Post by Etym »

After auto patching to 2.3.03 and loading my script, I went to the 'goals' section of the game settings screen (F9).
It shows this is the 'Fashion' Challenge Game, not mine.
The saved game and the script used have been sent to dropbox.
Etym
Level 3 user

Layout plan bugs

Post by Etym »

If you attempt to replace a firm layout plan in the plan library with the highlighted firm's plan, an error message pops up, no replacement is made, and the game crashes when you click 'OK' on the error message.

There also appears to be a problem with naming layout plans. Names are no longer placed in the upper left corner of the layout window; they are in the bottom left corner. However, there are 2 naming icons, one of which partially overlies the other. In addition, each produces a naming line. If you click only the 'bottom' (partially covered) icon, your typed name will appear on one line. If you click the 'top' (covering) icon, your typed name will appear beside both icons.

In addition, if you type a number from 1-5 into your plan name, the game immediately starts running at the corresponding game speed. :!:

I have a screenshot of this, but can't seem to insert it here. Any tips on that? :?: >>EDIT: see below<<
The screenshot has been sent to dropbox, and is from the same saved game mentioned in the preceding post.
Last edited by Etym on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etym
Level 3 user

Post by Etym »

Here is a screenie of the plan library bug.
Attachments
The hand/pointer shows location of the 2 naming icons.
The hand/pointer shows location of the 2 naming icons.
Screenshot plan library bug.png (431.35 KiB) Viewed 3486 times
David

Re: NEW Scripting bug

Post by David »

Etym wrote:After auto patching to 2.3.03 and loading my script, I went to the 'goals' section of the game settings screen (F9).
It shows this is the 'Fashion' Challenge Game, not mine.
The saved game and the script used have been sent to dropbox.
We will get this fixed in the next patch.
David

Re: Layout plan bugs

Post by David »

Etym wrote:If you attempt to replace a firm layout plan in the plan library with the highlighted firm's plan, an error message pops up, no replacement is made, and the game crashes when you click 'OK' on the error message.
I did a test and replaced a layout plan and didn't get any error message. Could you please send me the error message you got?