Time based goal?

Discussions about scenario games and user-defined scripts.
Esoteric Rogue
Level 6 user

Time based goal?

Post by Esoteric Rogue »

I was wondering if it's possible to add a goal to simply play for a number of years. The idea is to achieve the highest score possible in x years. Or to reword it, to not go bankrupt within x years.

I can use a hack such as:

Code: Select all

[MAIN GOAL]
Number of Controlled Companies=1
Goal Available Date=1904-12-30
...but an issue is the goal is not listed under goals until just prior to completion.

If this isn't implement yet for non-challenge games, I might suggest something like:

Code: Select all

[MAIN GOAL]
Survive Until=1904-12-30

...which could trigger then end game when used as a main goal, and could also be used a subgoal for more scenario based ideas.

Thanks for your consideration.
Etym
Level 3 user

Re: Time based goal?

Post by Etym »

Can't you just set the game duration at the number of years you want the game to last?
For example: Number of Game Years=20
Esoteric Rogue
Level 6 user

Re: Time based goal?

Post by Esoteric Rogue »

Etym wrote:Can't you just set the game duration at the number of years you want the game to last?
For example: Number of Game Years=20
No, I cannot. It appears you must to set another main goal with it, so a simple goal of a duration of years is not possible.

Number of Game Years seems to act Identical to a deadline. If you don't specify another goal, the game is completely open ended. If you specifiy another goal, then that acts as the main goal: You will win the game by achieving that goal within the timeframe, and you will lose the game by failing to meet that within the timeframe. The timeframes seem to be dependant upon, and a condition of, other goals.

Thus, it appears the timeframes cannot be used as a "survival" goal itself, without a workaround similar to that in the original post. At least, I cannot figure out how. If anyone knows how, please let me know.