Looking for Suggestions: What to do with the airport?

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Looking for Suggestions: What to do with the airport?

Post by mwyeoh »

Just a general thread this time.

At the moment, airports are still not exploited and do nothing for the game.
What thoughts does everyone have in regards to what we could use it for?
Kristo
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: Looking for Suggestions: What to do with the airport?

Post by Kristo »

Well, my ideas:

Import/export for some resurses (i mean rare resurses, like diamonds or platinum)

Using airports for their original purpose in real life - traveling - organize them the same way as media companies - 3 or so sliders and it start to generate profit.

Information use - click on an airport and it gives you info about tourists coming and going in/out of the city.

And one strange idea - people generaly hate to live next to airport... which means - the land around one should be at low cost all the time... so if you need land to build factories - here it is...
City Builder
Level 5 user

Post by City Builder »

I like Kristo's ideas.

I'd also add,

1. Airports; to add Hotels to the game that the player (and AI of course) can build as their's almost always hotels around airports.
Dordanov
Level 2 user

Post by Dordanov »

Maybe building next to an airport could also have an effect on freight costs, so it'll be a good call to place factories close to airports to lower freight costs if you need to import/export (semi)products to or from other cities.
Purifier
Level 4 user

Post by Purifier »

How bout being able to buy/rent a "section" of the airport ?
It will cost you personel wages (and if chosing for the rent rather then buy) rent, but gives a 10-25% reduction for transport costs in that city.
CromeNite

Post by CromeNite »

I like Dordanov's and Purifier idea of reducing freight cost for a price. It could even turn the area around the airport into an industrial zone, luring some of the polluting factories away from the city.
azuzelych
Level 2 user

Post by azuzelych »

CromeNite wrote:I like Dordanov's and Purifier idea of reducing freight cost for a price. It could even turn the area around the airport into an industrial zone, luring some of the polluting factories away from the city.
Especially when the airport is IN the city :lol:
azuzelych
Level 2 user

Post by azuzelych »

Purifier wrote:How bout being able to buy/rent a "section" of the airport ?
It will cost you personel wages (and if chosing for the rent rather then buy) rent, but gives a 10-25% reduction for transport costs in that city.
What would it have to do with the cost reduction? :shock: Since when have airports been the primary way of cargo shipment?
DarkWan

Post by DarkWan »

I would like the airports to work a bit like seaports now and changing a bit how seaports work.
Owning an airport or seaport will let you pick what goods you can supply to that city from a limited of choices.

For seaports the quantity should be limited per shipment (and shown how much left) and once they run out you pick next shipment to replace it with (have some kind of queue).
Lets say each seaport can have 4 goods then start random generate 8 shipments, 4 of them get picked and the rest is set on a queue of the owners choice.
When one shipment runs out, the next shipment on the queue replaces it and will generate a new shipment last on the queue, which the owner can change the order.

For airports with 4 goods, similar way but the supply is unlimited thus will not change unless the owner decides to. But the changes will not apply immediatly not to screw up for any player or AI. I am not sure how much time is suitable but lets say 1 year warning. Every now and then (not too often) the 4 unpicked ones will be replaced so the owner gets new choices.

Both ports should net you some basic income from traffics but income should be reflected by how well the chosen goods are selling.

Since there can be more than one seaport in a city, maybe have the shipmentpool shared by all the seaport in the same city. So owners of the seaports have to 'fight' over the best shipments.

/Wan